Thursday, March 19, 2009

Baked Oatmeal - I Promise it's Good!

I'm a busy mom. But I just don't have time to spend a lot of energy in the kitchen in the morning, and I need a breakfast that's fast, easy, tasty, and good for me. Recently, I did some Web browsing in search of something that would fit the above requirements. Thanks to a genius named Tracy, who posted a recipe on www.allrecipes.com, I was able to find the perfect breakfast fare...with some tweaking and revisions, of course, to make it dairy and soy free!

The beauty of this recipe is that you whip it together the night before, stash it in the fridge overnight, and toss it in the oven for 35 min. while you're showering and dressing in the morning. It's great when you have company (just tried it with the in-laws over the holidays), and it heats up beautifully for a snack or a second day on the breakfast table.

So without further ado, here is my take on lovely Tracy's baked oatmeal.....

Baked Oatmeal with Fruit
Prep time: 10 min. (the night before)
Bake time: 35 min. (the next morning)

Ingredients:
1/2 c. vegetable oil (or apple sauce)
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. rice milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T baking powder
3 c. quick cooking oats
1/2 c. fresh or frozen fruit of your choice (blueberries, raspberries, peaches, etc.)
1 apple, grated (no need to peel)
1-2 generous dashes cinnamon

Mix the oil and sugar in a bowl. Add the eggs, milk, salt, and baking powder, and mix well. Add the oats. Add the fruit, grated apple, and cinnamon. Mix. Pour into a square pyrex pan or pie pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the oatmeal, uncovered for ~35 min, or until it's slightly brown around the edges and soft/firm to the touch in the center.

To serve, cut or spoon a portion into a bowl and pour warm milk rice milk over the top. Note that my husband likes it dry (without the milk). So you could try that too!

1 comment:

  1. I second the rice milk addition. Especially when reheating this. I was surprised how good it was!

    ReplyDelete