Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tasty Scones

This weekend I had some leftover sweetened MimicCream that I wanted to use up, so I decided to try it out in baking (something I hadn't done before). I wanted to substitute it 1:1 with cream in a recipe, to see how it tasted, and I needed it to be in something sweet, since the MimicCream was the sweetened version. I decided to make scones, and after some looking online, I found an Alton Brown recipe with good reviews. My 3-year-old and I whipped up a batch with minimal modifications. The end result - really tasty scones that I would definitely make again! In fact, I had my husband try one, and he really liked it. And I should note that he hates nuts, and confirmed that you could not taste the almonds or cashews in the MimicCream.

Overall, I was really impressed with the baking ability of the MimicCream. The only disappointment was in the recipe itself - these are not traditional scones - they really seemed more like a sweet biscuit, but they were still really good hot out of the oven, and heated up in the toaster oven the next day.

Note: I have found MimicCream at Whole Foods. If you can't find it locally and want to give it a try, you can get it from Amazon.com.

Dairy and Soy Free Scones
recipe adapted from Alton Brown's Scone recipe

Ingredients

  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons Spectrum brand shortening
  • 3/4 cup Sweetened Mimic Cream
  • 1 egg

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Cut in shortening. In a separate bowl, combine Mimic Cream with beaten egg then add to dry ingredients. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll dough out and cut into biscuit size rounds. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown.


6 comments:

  1. HA! Yep, Amy. I'm back. Just had my second baby, and she's dairy/soy sensitive as well. Lucky me. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well after I cried in my D&S free oatmeal after noticing your last update was over a year ago, I started my own D&S free blog. Check it out, maybe it will help you as much as yours helped me. We make your choc chip cookie recipe by the double batch because we all pig out on them!! Anyway, hope my blog helps!!

    http://dairyandsoyfreelife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting recipes! My family and I have recently decided to go soy and dairy free and it's been a difficult transition for me. I am pregnant and everything that I crave has some form of dairy! And dairy free products I find are usually soy based products. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I hope you are still following this...the doc said my son also has a milk/soy protein allergy. He has specks of blood in his stool. I've been trying to cut out all milk and soy but the blood is still there! The only soy that I know of that I still eat is the soy lecithin and soy oil which I read was supposed to be ok with soy allergy. Do you know anything about those 2? Like vegetable oil is usually soy oil right?
    Frustrated!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

  5. This blog are Awesome.. I love foods.. they are so tasty and delicious…!
    Chowringhee


    ReplyDelete