Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dinner ideas: Thai Chicken Curry

One of the challenges I've found about being dairy and soy free, is coming up with ideas for dinner. There are tons of non-dairy, non-soy dinner ideas out there, but I get so hung up on what I can't have, that I have a hard time coming up with ideas for dinner. Not sure if you all have had that same challenge, but I thought I'd start a series with ideas for dinner, in case you find it helpful too.

Tonight I had some leftover roasted chicken, and not a lot of time to make dinner. I also had a can of coconut milk in the pantry. I did a quick online search and decided to try making coconut curry with chicken. It was fast, easy, and tasted great. You can easily add more veggies and/or leave the chicken out, depending on your tastes.

Thai Chicken Curry
recipe adapted from Epicurious.com.


  • 1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, whisked to blend
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons Thai curry paste
  • 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/3-inch-wide strips
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded (I used leftovers from a roasted chicken)
  • 1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • Salt, to taste

Bring 1/4 cup coconut milk and curry paste to boil in large skillet over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Add bell pepper and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, remaining coconut milk, sugar and fish sauce. Heat through, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 3 ingredients and simmer 1 minute. Season with salt. Server over rice.

You can also add other veggies - I through some sliced zucchini in with the tomatoes and it added a nice pop of green color and tasted great.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! I have a son with a soy allergy - no dairy allergy, thankfully, to go with it - and stumbled on your blog while looking for more brands of chocolate chips. I'm trying to make myself a birthday cake and UPS has conspired against me to not deliver the chocolate I ordered. I saw you mentioned elsewhere that "many brands" are soy and dairy free at Whole Foods - just an FYI, if you haven't check labels recently, you might want to. Soy lecithin has been sneaking in to the various brands that I know used to be soy-free. I have found Sweet Earth Organics online, they call out which products are soy-lecithin free. I'll be adding your blog to my RSS feed reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on a dairy/soy free diet while I'm breastfeeding my daughter. It really is hard to think of things to have for meals-- I seem to get a mental block and can't get past all the things I can't eat. I did find some dairy/soy free rice-based cheese at Whole Foods. It doesn't melt quite the same way but it was great to have something cheese-like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband found your blog - I am in your shoes, no soy or dairy due to nursing an intolerant child. The hubby made this recipe for me for Mother's Day. It was awesome! If I was going to make one change, I would add some sliced mushrooms to up the savory ante. But it was great as-written. Since the recipe doesn't specify, he used green curry paste.

    Thanks for putting this together! I will be following you!

    ReplyDelete